The word Gaushala is derived from Sanskrit word which further splits in two words as- “Gau” + “Shala”. While the Gau refers to Cow, Shala means Shelter. Thereby, referring to Shelter for Cows. Gaushalas are specifically designed for serving the large number of cows at one place by providing sustainable food and maintaining hygienic surroundings. The gaushala officials stay there all the time for taking care of cows and ensuring the availability of necessary items for their healthy living.
The Foundation of Shri Brij Kamad Surabhi Van evam Shodh Sansthan
Shri Jadkhor Godham was established under the valuable and religious guidance of many Holy Saints namely-
- Shri Bhaktamali Ganeshdas Ji Maharaj
- Shri Rajendra Das Ji Maharaj
Location of Shri Brij Kamad Surabhi Van evam Shodh Sansthan
Shri Brij Kamad Surabhi Van evam Shodh Sansthan is located in Bharatpur district of Rajasthan near Deeg Palace, which is a famous historical sight. The place is located at a distance of 130 Kms from New Delhi, 28 Kms from Giri Raj Ji, 26 Kms from Barsana. It is surrounded all around by scenic natural beauty. With forest and hills all around, it is also a peaceful and safe dwelling for the inhabitant animals.
Religious Importance of Location
Shri Jadkhor Godham is located in “Braj Chaurasi Kos”. This place holds a significant value for Hindus. As per the stories in Hindu Mythology, this place is considered to be place where Lord Shri Krishna spent his childhood playing around. It also mentions the fact that Lord Shri Krishna with his brother Lord Balram and father brought their domestic cows for grass grazing at this location, during the Dwapar Yug.
Construction and Area
Shri Brij Kamad Surabhi Van evam Shodh Sansthan has an area of about 73 Bigah where 1 Bigah= 1900 yards). The Sansthan has shed, store house for fodder, water tanks and huts for Saints, built in it.
Shri Brij Kamad Surabhi Van evam Shodh Sansthan has the following Gaushalas under its care taking which are diligently established by Shri Brij Kamad Surabhi Van evam Shodh Sansthan:
- Kamdhanu Gaushala – 12 Bigah – 900 Cows
- Surabhi Gaushala – 40 Bigah – 3500 Cows
- Murar Gaushala – 30 Bigah – 1200 Cows
- Yashoda Dham – 30 Bigah – 15 Cows (Under Construction)
Shri Brij Kamad Surabhi Van evam Shodh Sansthan also comprises of:
- Cow Shed with total area of 28 feet (width) by 2000 feet (length).
- Fodder storage area is 13000 feet.
- Separate kitchen & living rooms for the care takers of the cows.
- Rooms for saints and separate rooms for Vansprast Saints.
- A water tank having capacity of 300 Thousand liters. It is 50 feet high.
- Apart from all the above, a Kitchen with an area of 2000 feet, a half of which is used for feeding the people who stay and serve there while the rest is meant for the people who visit the Gaushala.
- 15 rooms for stay of visitors.
- Tree plantation at a wide scale.
- 2 Ambulances for old and helpless cows.
Cost and maintenance
There is a significant cost occured in taking care of such a large number of cows. Shri Brij Kamad Surabhi Van evam Shodh Sansthan shelters more than 3500 Cows. It is having a monthly expense of about INR 40 lakhs and yearly expense of about INR 5 crores approximately. It maintains high quality services for cows and officials are working day and night to make it the best place for cow living. Gaushala is aimed for a noble cause of cow protection and preservation.